Monday, January 18, 2010

Queen for a Day

I had the day off to celebrate Martin Luther King Day.  I honored Doctor King's memory by reading about his life, planning an activity for my students to do tomorrow and clearly understanding that each of us has a contribution to make to this world.  What do I give, what can I give?  It may not be in the way that Doctor King moved people to achieve the dream of equal rights for all men but I can contribute.  I will work to give of myself and to be of service to those that touch my life.
On a less serious note...I have decided that I could be
"Queen for a Day"!

The position of status may be a bit over dramatic but I did spend the better part of the day doing things because I wanted to not because I had to.  I started the morning doing my schoolwork, lesson plans, and such in my pj's!  The mid-morning brought time for a walk and a breath of fresh air.  It is fascinating how my thoughts flow as I walk quietly taking in what's around me.  It was about 30 degrees but I was bundled up so I didn't mind.  After arriving home I proceeded to put the final touches on packing the remainder of the Christmas decorations and Hubby was kind enough to carry them to their resting place in the garage.
Lunch, blog visits and a baking adventure!  I made two pear tarts, I've never made them before so it was an experiment to say the least.

I started with a pie crust round in a glass pie plate, filled the center, folded the crust over and baked it at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  It was a yummy dessert.

Recipe: Diane's Pear Tart
2 Crusts-homemade or your favorite store brand

Filling:
4 pears-peeled and sliced (be sure to remove the center core)
Mix the cinnamin,sugar and lemon juice with the pears-set aside while preparing your crust
1/3 cup sugar
1tsp cinnamin
1 tsp lemon juice

1/4 cup dried cranberries

1/4 cup chopped pecans


Mound the filling onto the crust-fold the sides over and bake
at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Serve warm by itself or with ice cream!
Yield: two tarts
It was a very rustic, satisfying dessert.


After baking and putting chili in the crock pot I grabbed a cup of tea, my current read, and sat down in our office/guest room/ craft room/ everything else room and I became completely distracted by the clutter and disfunction.  Note to self- Get organized!

It seems that this is the time of year when I get this feeling of angst
over too much stuff and no space.  But where there's a will there's a way!

Before I jump in I need a plan so I got out my notebook and started making lists and sketches of furniture layouts.

Step one: declutter

Step two: determine what will be donations, sold, or shared with someone who needs the item

Step three: decide on furniture placement


Step four: figure out new ways of storing the things I use most often and those things that only come out occassionally

Step five:  Sit back and enjoy the new space!

This is an aggressive undertaking and I need to do this
in a way that doesn't drive me crazy!

Ideas are always welcome! 
What are your favorite organizing tips? 

With that I'll wish you a wonderful day. 

No comments: