Monday, February 1, 2010

Recipes and Reminiscences with Mrs.Tudor

The Tasha Tudor Cookbook
Recipes and Reminiscences from Corgi Cottage

I have decided to prepare one Tasha Tudor recipe a week.  The cookbook is a beautiful collection of recipes, reminiscences, and artwork.  She was a wife, a parent, a teacher and an artist. She was a woman I have grown to admire. I started at the beginning, Appetizers and Salads and will make one recipe a week and then post the results on the following Monday.  It's a kind of "Julie and Julia" process! Corny maybe but fun! The recipe for this week was "Nancy's Hot Cheese Rounds".  (Mine however, are rectangles!) Nancy was a friend of Tasha's.  She was a mathematics teacher at St. Paul's School.  Tasha'a grandfather was one of the first students at St. Paul's, in the 1860's.

1 loaf of Pepperidge farm or other good quality bread (I used whole grain bread)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 farm-fresh egg yolk, beaten well
1 cup Vermont sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper

Heat the broiler.
Cut rounds (or rectangles!), butter the bread well and fry them on both sides in a hot skillet
until browned
In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese and egg yolk, then add the grated cheese, garlic, and salt and pepper
spread the cheese mixture on the toast, place them an ungreased cookie sheet and broil until cheese is puffed and brown.

I left them in the broiler a minute too long but they were still delicious. The cheese was very creamy.  I served tortellini and chicken chowder and salad along with the toast points.  It was a rustic meal perfect on a cold winter evening.
Next Monday: Stuffed eggs and Fresh tomato salad with French dressing

May all your meals feed your body and the company you share them with feed your soul.

2 comments:

i am storm. said...

Being a cheese-aholic, those toasts look deeelicious! I can taste them through my computer screen! LOL

I love your idea of trying a new recipe a week and being a bit fan of Julia, saw the movie opening weekend. I thought Meryl did a wonderful job.

I not organized enough to plan one recipe a week. Instead, I buy one new food a week. This week when I was at the grocery store, I bought a purple chinese eggplant. No idea how to best cook it yet, but I will figure it out, I am sure.

~ maybe I should serve it with cheese rounds? hmmmmm

Hugs,

Storm

Diane said...

Hi Storm,
I think your idea of one new food a week is awesome! The recipe is as good as it looked-try it!
Let me know how the Chinese eggplant works out. Visit often I love making new friends.
Diane