Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Comfy Little Treasures...

This was the first day of my Christmas break from school.  I had a relaxing day that included a little tidy up in the apartment, I wrote some cards to friends and family that I am (We are) late with.  Thank goodness there are twelve days of Christmas and it doesn't have to end on the 25th.  John and I are preparing for our family gathering.  I am so anxious to see the girls.  The presents are wrapped, the decorations are hung, we have delivered gifts and little treasures to friends and family, dinner done, and I am going to settle in to do some reading.  Yes, I said reading.  You see being an English Teacher I rarely have time to read for pleasure.
I read an average of 50 to 60 young adult novels a year in addition to staying on top of the profession and it's changes and developments.  So when I am able to slow down and read for pleasure I savor the moments.


I've made some tea, I'm in comfy clothes, and ready to relax.  The book I've chosen is...

I haven't read this book since I was a little girl and it feels like the perfect story to enjoy now.

"Hans Brinker, or The Silver Skates (full title — Hans Brinker; or, the Silver Skates: A Story of Life in Holland) is a novel by American author Mary Mapes Dodge, first published in 1865. The novel takes place in the Netherlands, and is a very colorful fictional portrait of early nineteenth-century Dutch life, as well as an inspirational tale of youthful honor.
The title of the book refers to the beautiful silver skates to be awarded to winner of the ice-skating race Hans Brinker hopes to enter. The novel introduced the sport of Dutch speed skating to Americans, and in U.S. media Hans Brinker is still considered the prototypical speed skater.
The book is also notable for popularizing the story of the little Dutch boy who plugs a dike with his finger."
(Wikipedia)


I remember the inspiration I felt as a young girl having read this story and how I enjoy nostalgia...
So I'll  read on.

“If you have much, give of your wealth; If you have little, give of your heart”


Have a Wonderful Christmas season.

No comments: